The X Filed

 If you want to vote, make sure you’re registered.

WMPHQ Lloyd House

Birmingham residents are being urged to ensure they are on the electoral register so they will have the chance to vote for the first-ever West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner.

The city council’s elections office compiles a new electoral register every year by sending out forms to every property in the city. This year’s canvass is happening earlier than usual due to the inaugural Police and Crime Commissioner election on 15th November. If people do not register, they could lose their right to vote and it could affect their ability to obtain credit as not appearing on the electoral register can – for example – deter lenders and mobile phone companies from giving credit. Young people can register to vote from the age of 16, although they will not be able to actually vote until they are 18.

If no changes need to be made to the form people can confirm their registration in the following ways:

  • By freephone: Call  0808 284 1505 (24 hours) . When prompted, please enter both parts of your security code. You will be asked to key in your date of birth as a security measure. (This service is free, but mobile networks may charge).
  • By internet: Website – – when prompted, enter both parts of your security code.
  • To register by text message (SMS): Text the two security codes, separated by a space, to 07786 209 405.

If you register in one of these ways, there is no need to send the form back to the council.

Further information, along with the security codes you need to register using these methods, is available on the household form you have received. If your information has changed, please post the form back using the FREEPOST envelope provided. Anyone who has not received a form, or who has any queries, should call the elections office on  0121 303 2731 or call in at 150 Great Charles Street, B3 3HS (next to the chest clinic).

People should respond by September 2 to prevent a canvasser having to make a personal visit to each non-responding household.