Quick response to city blaze averts tragedy

Ambulance staff  have dealt with more than 30 patients after a fire in an eight storey block of flats in Birmingham. The electrical fire was discovered at 2.20am this morning in Bramber House, Stokesay Grove in Longbridge.

A total of five ambulances, the Hazardous Area Response Team, an incident support officer and an emergency planning officer were sent to the scene.  A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “When crews arrived they found a block of flats that was severely smoke logged.  The fire had knocked out power to the whole building and emergency lighting had to be used.”

Over 50 residents were evacuated from the building, many being led away by firefighters, and all were checked for the effects of smoke inhalation and possible carbon monoxide poisoning. Three adults and two young children were taken to City, Birmingham Children’s and the new Queen Elizabeth Hospitals.  A total of 29 others were assessed at the rest centre but did not require any further treatment.

The fire, believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in the block’s communal area, was quickly brought under control and most residents have now been allowed to return home. However, at least six people will be temporarily re-homed due to the damage to their property.