Sweet treats in store at Italian restaurant’s latest venture.
San Carlo Group has opened a second dining concept at Selfridges in Birmingham. Gran Cafe, a patisserie, ice cream bar and cafe located on the first floor of Selfridges in the Bullring launched this week.
Sure to be a haven for dessert lovers of all ages, Gran Cafe serves a fun and enticing all day menu to eat in or take away, including:
• gourmet sandwiches, a range of croissants, pastries and muffins
• freshly baked cakes from San Carlo’s patisserie including its famous pistachio cake, tiramisu, mille feuille, fresh cream eclairs, cheesecake, individual fruit tarts and slices of gateaux
• An ice cream bar serving San Carlo’s own luxury home made gelato and sorbets in an array of flavours from the more traditional vanilla, strawberry, mint choc chip and chocolate to salted caramel, amarena cherry, marscapone and fig and cookie dough and just for the festive season – orange and chocolate Baileys and gingerbread and caramel
For the first time, San Carlo will serve its new range of indulgent, towering cake shake creations, made using its luxury gelato milkshake and piled high with cake chunks and toppings. Choices include the chocolate brownie and strawberry cheesecake. If a cake shake is a step too far, milkshakes and sundaes will also be on the menu.
• Cream tea or afternoon tea served with a choice of teas, champagne or Prosecco
• The drinks menu includes Prosecco, Champagne, soft drinks, speciality teas, great Italian coffee and a range of hot chocolate choices
For the little ones
• Children are able to have fun building their own ice cream sundae at the table with toppings presented in bespoke mini artist palettes and there is a choice of children’s drinks including juices and smoothies.
The latest opening from San Carlo Group follows hot on the heels of Fumo, the stylish restaurant, champagne and cocktail bar located on fourth at Selfridges, Birmingham. Fumo serves regional Italian inspired dishes to share or eat alone. Off to a flying start, Fumo opened in October to popular and critical acclaim.
A relaxed and contemporary dining concept from San Carlo Group, Gran Cafe has been designed using light, fresh colours to offer a contemporary, informal dining experience. As with all San Carlo restaurants, attention to detail is of utmost importance, with all dishes made using only the finest ingredients.
Gran Cafe is the fourth Birmingham restaurant and bar from the independently owned, multi-award winning San Carlo Group, which owns and operates 18 leading UK restaurants including the hugely popular San Carlo on Temple Street and Fumo on Waterloo Street.
Commenting on the opening, Marcello Distefano, managing director of San Carlo Group said: “We’ve been blown away by the incredible start Fumo at Selfridges has made, now we’re excited to unveil our latest exclusive concept for Selfridges. Gran Cafe allows us to have a little fun, with the emphasis still firmly on great food and ingredients in relaxed and enjoyable surroundings.”
Bruce Langlands, Selfridges Food and Restaurant Director comments: “We wanted to create a vibrant destination with great food, service and atmosphere, which complements the local offer. Gran Cafe is the second San Carlo concept for Selfridges, which we are sure our customers will enjoy. Selfridges Birmingham is now not only a great destination for fashion, but will also be a fantastic destination for a great dining experience too.”
Gran Cafe is open 10am-8pm Monday to Friday, 9am-8pm on Saturdays and from 11am–5.30pm on Sundays. Festive hours may vary.