BBC Stargazing and Dark Sky Discovery West Midlands invites you to two Regional Showcase Events
Sat 14 Jan, in Victoria Square with the Stargazing Events Stage and the BBC Big Screen goes interactive from 11am to 3pm.
The Big Screen will be live-linking to the Faulkes Telescope in Hawaii for a taste of the stars in the daytime. Astronomical activities and games will include an interactive game created for Stargazing LIVE 2012. You can interact with the Screen and experts (including Professor Brian Cox) will answer 20 burning questions about the universe. There will also be a demonstration of tablet computer star apps that you can use to learn more about the skies. plus –
* Make a rocket and have it launched in Victoria Square.
* See the Star Colours discovery as presented to the Birmingham Lunar Society in 1800.
* BBC Stargazing packs and lots of activities to Get Involved with your Dark Sky locally.
Tue 17 Jan – BBC Stargazing Live evening at New Art Gallery Walsall 6-9pm – find the Star Ship WM Discovery Log and event flyer attached with details
A fantastic free night of stargazing activities for all the family.
* An inflatable planetarium will be on site to help you explore the wonders of our solar system. Local astronomy experts will guide you through the constellations of the night sky, and will help you discover more about the science of eclipses, moon craters, galaxies and gravity, you can even have a nibble or two of space food, if that’s what takes your fancy!!
* Weather permitting, guided stargazing sessions will be taking place throughout the evening from the gallery roof terrace, but we’ll also show you the best free software available for you to explore the skies without having to go outdoors if the weather defeats us!
* In addition, we’ll also have experts on hand to tell you about the wonderful wildlife you might also come across when you decide to go out and about on your own Stargazing adventure.
Both events are free and is open from 6pm until 9pm, and visitors will be able to pick up BBC Stargazing goodies to take away.
BBC Learning WM and Dark Sky Discovery West Midlands www.darkskydiscovery.org.uk an Access to Nature programme funded by the Big Lottery