Year on year growth sees seven figure barrier broken.
Birmingham Airport welcomed 1,002,473 passengers through its terminal doors during the month of April, this is up +4.1% up on the same month last year.
Scheduled traffic accounted for 87% of the total, with charter passengers making up the remaining 13%.
Nick Barton, CEO, of Birmingham Airport said: “It’s great to see passenger figures rising as we warm up for the summer months. We’ve seen an incredible uplift in passengers travelling further afield to more of the tropical destinations we have on offer including India, Cape Verde and Jamaica to name a few.
“With the airport redevelopments to kick start next month and new routes set to launch just as we approach peak travel time, we’re looking forward to welcoming many more passengers through our airport doors.”
Charter routes which saw significant year-on-year growth included Bridgetown, which almost doubled in demand (+83.25%), Palma de Mallorca (+57.39%) and Montego Bay (+45.28%). Scheduled routes which also saw growth in comparison to last year included Antalya (+102.47%), Paphos (+78.52%) and Ibiza (+60.68%).
For more information on Birmingham Airport and the routes it serves, visit: www.birminghamairport.co.uk