Birmingham Airport celebrates a record breaking April.
Passenger figures released by Birmingham Airport for April have shown it has recorded fourteen consecutive months of record breaking growth.
In total, 872,833 passengers were handled at the airport, up by 13.2% compared to the same month last year when the last record April was set.
As is increasingly the case, long-haul routes experienced the greatest rise in demand, with 41.2% passenger growth compared to the same month last year. Meanwhile, short-haul routes saw a 9.7% growth rate year-on-year.
Paul Kehoe, Chief Executive Officer at Birmingham Airport, said: “As we enter into the busy summer flight season, April’s figures are very encouraging and show that we are meeting the growing demand for long haul services.
“April was a very significant month seeing us announce two new direct scheduled services to China with Beijing Capital Airlines. We also welcomed the arrival of Czech Airlines to Birmingham Airport and Thomas Cook Airlines announced it will be increasing its base fleet to five aircraft from summer 2017.
“Our teams are now focusing on raising awareness of the large selection of carriers and routes which serve Birmingham Airport, whilst continuing to work hard to attract even more new airlines to the region.”
Scheduled traffic was very significant for the month of April accounting for over 92% of the total and charter passengers making up the remaining 8%.
Scheduled traffic saw an increase of 17.8%, with significant year-on-year passenger growth to Madeira (+91.6%), Barcelona (+79.7%) and Reykjavik (+75%).
Charter destinations which saw growth were Fuerteventura (+81%), Malaga (+69.6%) and Alicante (+65.3%).