Million passenger barrier broken.
Birmingham Airport has broken its record for the busiest July ever, handling more than one million passengers last month.
The Midlands airport handled 1,071,259 passengers during the month, beating last July’s previous record by 2% and becoming the sixth record month in 2015 so far. Long haul traffic saw the biggest growth with almost 20% more passengers using these services compared to July 2014. Scheduled traffic accounted for 78% of the total passenger mix at Birmingham, with charter making up the remaining 22%.
Paul Kehoe, Chief Executive of Birmingham Airport said: “This is the twenty-seventh month of continuous passenger growth at Birmingham and it’s excellent to see the million passenger mark broken in July. We expect to see the next few months showing a similar picture as travellers choose from the many new airlines, new routes and additional frequencies that we have launched over the last year.”
One hundred percent growth was seen on scheduled services to New York JFK, Madrid, Cape Verde, Biarritz, Deauville and Bastia, as well as significant increases to Amritsar (+92.4%), Delhi (+64.6%), Avignon (+58.8%), La Rochelle (+49.7%) and Guernsey (+47.8%).
Beijing saw the largest increase (+262%) within the charter sector as the extended summer programme of two weekly flights commenced on the 3rd July. Other charter routes experiencing 100% growth in July included Porto Santo, Chania and Kalamata.