Barnet Cut Short

Andy Munro reports on Blues’ Capital One Cup win.

Early on it seemed like it could be a close shave as Blues strolled around as if it were a training session while Barnet lived up to their nickname of the Bees as they buzzed angrily. Luckily these bees seemed reluctant to sting as they could easily have been three up before they actually scored a well-deserved opener.

Blues uncertain start was not helped by third choice keeper Lucas, who looked exactly that. – frequently badly positioned he certainly should have prevented the opening goal. Colin Doyle must wonder what he’s done wrong not to be chosen above a goalkeeping version of Billy Blunders.

Luckily Blues got back into the game with a fortuitious penalty when Marlon King (can’t some opposing fans change the record by the way?) was needlessly fouled. The most amazing thing about the incident wasn’t the coolness of his penalty but ,in fact, that a referee of any sort had given a decision in his favour. In truth, n Blues’ keenness to play Ravel Morrison (admittedly a decent looking player) they unfortunately confined the talents of Darren Ambrose to the wing and teenage prodigy Nathan Redmond to an undeserved place on the bench. This definitely affected the balance to the team’s play down the left.

I don’t know what was said at halftime but Blues came out a different side and once they went 2-1 up through Caldwell there was no looking back. Ambrose scored a wonderful third with a curler before Blues put a decidedly unfair reflection on the game scoring a further two in added time, a classy finish from Lovengrans and a final fifth from Wade Elliott following unselfish work from Margo Gomis.

On the plus side, Marlon King looked far fitter and mobile than last season (and got Man of the Match) but I would have given the award to Chris Burke, who at times was unplayable. A word also for young Packwood who gave a masterly defensive performance at right back before going off injured at the end of the game.